Oral Surgery in Alpharetta, GA
Your First Appointment
If you think you may need oral surgery, you should make an appointment with one of our Alpharetta, GA dentists. Your first visit will be a consultation in which your dentist will diagnose your dental problem and let you know your treatment options. In certain cases, if you do require surgery, it can be completed on the same day by an oral surgeon in Alpharetta. If the patient is under 18, an adult will need to be present for this first visit.
During your oral surgery consultation, please let us know about any medical conditions you may have or medications you may be taking. For some surgeries, IV sedation is needed. Below are a few things to keep in mind:
Things to Know About IV Sedation in Oral Surgery
- You will not be able to drive yourself home after the procedure. An adult must accompany you to your appointment and be able to drive you afterwards.
- You may not eat or drink anything, including water, for 8 hours before your appointment.
- You must not smoke for 12 hours before your oral surgery.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing, either with short sleeves or with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow. Do not wear shoes with high heels. Do not wear excessive makeup, lipstick, or nail polish on the day of the procedure.
- If you are ill on the day of your appointment, please contact our Alpharetta, GA office in advance to let us know.
- If you take oral medication, check with our Alpharetta office for instructions before your appointment.
In many cases, wisdom teeth grow in a way that can impact your overall dental health and must be removed through oral surgery. Your dentist will be able to see if this is the case by taking an x-ray of the area.
Wisdom tooth extraction is usually done while the patient is under general anesthesia. Most patients recover from the procedure with no complications. Your oral surgeon will tell you how to properly care for your mouth after the surgery so as to heal properly.